James Raymond Wright originally had a small restaurant in "Old" Welwyn. His daughter Betty believes this was called the 'Well Inn' and was situated in front of the Pavilion Cinema. Her father had the Bridge Road Restaurant built in 1936 and the family moved to WGC in early 1938, living at 55 Woodhall Lane until 1961. Betty's mother worked at the restaurant all through the war and she served meals, etc. to many of the stars who were working at the film studio in Broadwater Road. Betty seems to remember an unexploded bomb in Peartree Lane not far from the Restaurant and her memory is of a British Restaurant in a long temporary building built in the grounds of Norton Grinding Wheel close to Barcley Corsets. Mr Wright served in the R.A.F. during the war as a catering officer and only in 1947 was he able to resume his business once more. He became quite famous for his ice cream, made on the premises, and he also held the first concession for Kunzle Cakes which were delicious, very chocolaty and a good way of getting chocolate as sweets were still on ration. Mr Wright died in 1957 and Betty's mother, Betty and her husband kept the Restaurant running until early 1961 when it was sold. A few years later it became a bank for a short while before being demolished. Our thanks to Betty for supplying this information.