The Broadwater Press started as a partnership in 1928. It was formed into a private company in 1930 and had its factory in Stonehills, WGC. Growing gradually over the next 37 years, the company had three separate works. In 1967 these were amalgamated into a single new factory on the Mundells industrial estate. It was a high quality general printers company that handled anything from a simple handbill to a 1000 page aircraft maintenance manual, and printed the Welwyn Times up until the 1950s. Popper & Co Ltd acquired the company in June 1973.