Cresta Silks Ltd began in WGC in 1929. The company moved from its sectional factory in Broadwater Road to Howardsgate in 1938. Started by Tom Heron it became one of the notable British textile companies of the 20th century. Heron based production on the pursuit of quality and the contribution of the creative artist. When WWII broke out silk was requisitioned for parachutes so Heron switched to wool fabric enabling Cresta to continue. The company had to leave its Howardsgate factory which was used by Murphy Radio for essential war work. Cresta Silks went into Welwyn Stores temporarily and Heron went to the Board of Trade as 'Advisor on Women's and Children's Clothing' where he initiated the famous Utility Clothing scheme for the wartime population. In 1946 the company was able to return to its Howardsgate factory though it would eventually move back to Welwyn Department Stores in 1954.