Denman Products Limited and Denman Tools Limited were located at Tewin Road in Welwyn Garden City. They were established around the time of the second world war by John Denman Dean of Cushendall, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. He patented the original Denman brush in 1938 but secondment to the American government for the duration of WWII interrupted any plans to commercialise the product. The Denman brushes use the inventor’s middle name and continues as a brand known worldwide in hairdressing circles.

Denman Products Ltd

The front & back cover of a Denman catalogue produced in 1964 to illustrate its current product range.

Our thanks to Denman International Ltd for contributing this document.

Denman Products Ltd

A sales sheet which dates from between 1966 and 1972. It is interesting that this leaflet lists the name of the Tewin Road company as Ulster Plastics Limited. The leaflet must have been issued just prior to the relocation of the Denman business to its current location in Bangor.

Ill health forced Dean to sell his businesses in the mid-1960s to the Yorkshire-based Lindsay & Williams Group. This company relocated the manufacturing of Denman products to Ulster Plastics Limited based in Bangor, Northern Ireland. The Rainey family purchased Ulster Plastics Limited in 1972 and it remains a family company to this day trading as Denman International Limited.

Our thanks to Denman International Ltd for supplying this photograph and the accompanying information.

Denman Products Ltd

A postcard produced by Denman Products Ltd (Injection Moulders) in conjunction with Denman Tools Ltd (Mould Makers) advertising the goods and services of the Denman companies. It states 'Whatever your Injection Moulding problem may be we are able to carry the job through from Pencil Sketch to finished product"!

The address of the Factories & Registered Offices is Tewin Road.

We are grateful to Denman International Ltd for contributing this postcard to the Trust's archive.

Denman Products Ltd

The original Denman Products Limited and Denman Tools Limited were located at Tewin Road in Welwyn Garden City. They were established around the time of the second world war and are listed in the 1946 Welwyn Garden Citizens Handbook with the address as 6 Cole Green Lane.

Our thanks to Denman International Ltd for supplying this photograph from its archives.

Denman Products Ltd

A page from a Denman Products Ltd catalogue produced in 1964 to illustrate its product range and, on this page, giving information about the associate company Denman Tools Ltd which is described as having 'vast experience in mould making for the plastics industry'.

We are very grateful to Denman International Ltd for contributing this document to our archive.

Denman Products Ltd

An interior shot of the Denman factory and its workers. We are grateful for this contribution supplied by Denman International Ltd.

Denman Products Ltd

This photograph is of John Denman Dean, a native of Cushendall, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. He was a prominent plastics engineer and it is believed he established his factories in Welwyn Garden City to be close to some of the major petrochemical companies including ICI.

We are very grateful to Denman International Ltd which contributed this picture from its archive.

 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery