This company came to WGC in 1938 taking 'temporary' premises in Tewin Road but ended up staying for 35 years! 'Dedicated to understanding the chemistry of vulcanization as well as finding uses for and the promotion of rubber produced in (then) Malaya, BRPRA was funded by a one-halfpenny levy on each ton of rubber exported from that country. At that time BRPRA occupied three adjacent bungalows in Tewin Road, Welwyn Garden City (next to Bickiepegs). Filled with white-coated scientists conducting chemical experiments, and lacking ventilation, the buildings nigh-stank. At the back was a large greenhouse which was, at considerable expense, maintained at the temperature and humidity of Malaya where rubber trees were grown to provide authentic fresh latex for experimental study.' Our thanks to Hazel who, as well as donating photos, supplied notes about the company from which the above quotation is taken.