The original Welwyn Stores was completed in October 1921. It fronted on to what had been a cart track - now Bridge Road - on the site currently occupied by Rosanne House. The first departments were groceries and provisions, meat, fish and poultry, fruit and vegetables. The first week's turnover was £200. Gradually the building was enlarged, the premises serving as a centre of social activity until the steady expansion of trade necessitated the introduction of new departments. Designed by Louis de Soissons its replacement contained not only a Department Store and restaurant, but also 62 flats, a masonic suite and a sports club. The new building was completed in 18 months in June 1939. This new store - facing The Campus - eventually had over 50 departments with almost 2.5 acres of selling space. With the demise of the Welwyn Garden City Company, Welwyn Stores became part of the Howardsgate Trust, until 1983 when it was sold to The John Lewis Partnership. Thanks to the John Lewis Partnership archive and Eric Balley for supplying the above information.