In 1932 the German owned Beiersdorf Ltd moved to 15 Bessemer Road, WGC. Facilities included offices plus a factory for manufacturing 'Nivea' products and other toiletries and plasters. In 1939 the Second World War posed difficulties for the company - those who were German nationals would be arrested and interned. The company changed its name to Herts Pharmaceuticals Ltd in 1940 but it wasn't until 1947 that the British authorities noticed Herts Pharmaceuticals was still owned by Beiersdorf in Germany. At that point Herts Pharmaceuticals Ltd was transferred to the Custodian of Enemy Property and in 1951 the company was put up for sale - with Smith & Nephew Ltd successfully bidding for the company in August that year. We are very grateful to Beiersdorf AG for contributing a wonderful collection of material from their archive.